With the development of modern architecture, wall decoration materials have become an indispensable part of building decoration materials. The wall is the largest part of the home, so the decoration style of the wall basically determines the appearance and style of the overall home decoration.
Quarterly Retail Sales of Paint, Wallpaper and Related Supplies in Canada from 2014 to 2019(In Million Canadian Dollars)
From the above data from , we can see that this statistic shows the quarterly retail sales of paint, wallpaper and related supplies in Canada from 2014 to 2019. Sales of paint, wallpaper and related supplies amounted to approximately 710.44 million Canadian dollars in the fourth quarter of 2019. Overall, in Canada, the retail sales of wall decoration products are increasing year by year, indicating that more and more people will buy wall decoration products to decorate the walls of their homes.
Renovation is a laborious and laborious thing. It will cost a lot of human and material resources and a lot of financial resources. The selection and comparison of building materials alone require several days to shop. Not to mention other things, talk about the decoration materials. There are latex paint, wallpaper, terrazzo, ceramic tile, diatom mud, and wall panel on the market, how to choose has become a big problem!
Image Credit: @georgepanel_official
If the living room is the center of the entire home, the wall is the center of the entire living room. Whether the living room decoration is good or bad, the wall decoration accounts for 70% of the proportion. But with so many decoration materials on the market?
As an excellent wall panel supplier in China, we will popularise common wall decoration materials and their corresponding advantages and disadvantages to readers for your reference.
I. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Latex Paint?
Latex paint is a frequently used wall material that most families use. And it can be adjusted according to the needs of different home styles, which is very convenient!
When we choose latex paint, we must choose a big brand of latex paint, the quality is more guaranteed. For example, Dulux, Nippon, Dufang, Fenlin, Fuller Court, Jordan, and Maestro are good quality. You can choose these latex paint brands with your eyes closed. Choose waterproof and scratch-resistant latex paint if the kitchen and bathroom want to use latex paint.
There are three key environmental protection indicators for latex paint: VOC, free formaldehyde, and heavy metals. The following are the limit values for the content of each compound.
1) Volatile organic compounds (VOC) (g/L) ≤ 200
2) Free formaldehyde (g/kg) ≤ 0.1
3) Heavy metal (mg/kg) soluble lead ≤ 90
To be safe, pay attention to the product barcodes (for example, China 690-695, the United States, Canada 00-09, Finland 64, the Netherlands 87, Germany 400-440) anti-counterfeiting signs. The higher the certification level, the better the environmental performance and the higher the price.
There is also a cold knowledge, the keywords in the product name of latex paint can also be used as one of our standards for measuring product performance. “No additives” is better than “clean taste”, and the performance of “full effect” will be greater than that of “five in one”. If there are “anti-formaldehyde” and “bamboo charcoal”, it will be more divided.
– Advantagess of Latex paint
1. Construction is convenient. It can be brushed, rolled, sprayed, wiped, or scraped. Construction tools can be washed with water.
2. It dries quickly and can be brushed twice or three times a day, so the construction efficiency is high and the cost is low.
3. It thoroughly solves the problems of labour protection and environmental pollution caused by the volatilization of toxic gases of organic solvents for painters, and eliminates the danger of fire.
4. Good color retention, and good weather resistance. Most of the exterior wall latex white paint is not accessible to yellow, and the weather resistance can reach more than ten years.
5. It has good air permeability and strong alkali resistance, so the humidity difference between inside and outside of the paint is large, and it is not easy to foam. Indoors, the paint is not easy to “sweat”.
– Disadvantages of latex paint
1. The construction temperature should be above 5°C.
2. Drying and film formation are greatly affected by temperature and humidity.
3. Llatex paint is water-dispersed paint, and the storage temperature during transportation should be above 0°C. Otherwise, it is easy to freeze.
II. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Water-Soluble Paint?
Water-based coatings on the market can generally be divided into water-dispersible, water-dilutable, and water-soluble. Water-soluble coatings refer to coatings formed from water-soluble resins.
Water-soluble coatings are low-grade products made by dissolving polyvinyl alcohol in water and adding other additives such as pigments. The water-soluble paint can bond well to the wall, form a tough protective film for the decoration and protection of the wall, and is generally used for painting the interior walls of buildings.
When owners buy water-soluble paint, they can choose to open the bucket’s lid and stir the water-soluble paint with a small wooden stick to see if there is an accumulation inside. If there is accumulation, the quality of the paint is not up to standard. You can also pick out a little paint with a wooden stick to see if it can flow down in a smooth filamentous shape. If it can, it means that the paint has good fluidity and the effect of decoration will be better. If it can’t be a combination of pieces, it means that the effect of the paint will be poor if it is used for decoration.
– Advantages of water-soluble paint
1. Bright colors and strong adhesion, can create a more natural effect.
2. Using water as the dispersion medium and another low-toxic or even non-toxic raw materials is an environmentally friendly material.
3. It is not easy to mould and yellow, and the corrosion resistance is also good, and it will not produce some solid chemical reactions with other coatings.
– Disadvantages of water-soluble paint
1. There will be certain restrictions on applying wood and paper.
2. The use of organic amines as neutralisers will cause particular pollution to water sources.
3. Water-soluble paint is made of water as a solvent, so it is easy to evaporate, and the latent heat is relatively high, so the paint film’s drying time and room temperature should be well done.
III. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Wall Paper?
Wallpaper is an interior decoration material used for wall covering. Usually, bleached chemical wood pulp is used to produce base paper, which is processed by different processes, such as coating, printing, embossing or surface coating, and finally cut and packaged before leaving the factory.
Wall decoration is deeply loved by users with its changing patterns, rich colors, imitating the appearance of traditional materials, softening the space and beautifying the environment with special effects produced by a unique soft texture.
The wallpaper base materials are all plastic, cloth base, asbestos fibre base, glass fibre base, etc., which have good decorative effects of sound absorption, heat insulation, antibacterial, arson, mildew resistance, and water resistance.
– Advantages of wall paper
1. Easy to clean, can be scrubbed with a rag.
2. There are many choices of colors, rich and varied textures, and warm decoration.
3. It can better cover the wall with cracks, and the requirements for the paving process are not high.
– Disadvantages of wall paper
1. Wallpaper is very easy to fall off once humid, so it needs to be replaced frequently.
2. It’s not difficult to put up wallpaper, but it takes a lot of hard work to make it look good.
IV. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Ceramic Tile?
Ceramic tiles are made of high refractory clay, quartz sand and other raw materials, and are fired through grinding, mixing, pressing, glazing, and other processes.
– Advantages of ceramic tiles
1. The water absorption rate is low, and the phenomenon of cracking is not easy to appear.
2. Super wear resistance, which is not easy to deform or fade, is suitable for heavy storage and cleaning.
3. Super corrosion resistance will not be corroded by chemical substances such as juice, detergent, etc., and has stable performance.
– Disadvantages of ceramic tile
1. Thermal expansion and cold contraction are prone to cracking and other phenomena.
2. It is relatively bulky, and at the same time, it is not as natural as marble, and it is not as good as the floor’s texture.
3. The surface is too smooth, there is no anti-slip effect, and the ground becomes slippery once it gets wet.
V. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Wall Panel?
Wall panel is a popular wall decoration material, which integrates environmental protection, beauty, function and practicality. Its shape is diversified and has become the first choice of many personalized customers.
The height of the Wall panel is generally two approaches. Half-height type, also called wall skirt, the general height is 900mm, 1000mm, 1200mm. The full-height type means that the wall can be made as high as it is, and it is fully covered.
Wall panel is safe and environmentally friendly, convenient and efficient, noise reduction and sound insulation, whether it is new American style, Nordic style, modern minimalist style, all styles can be easily controlled.
Image Credit: @georgepanel_official
– Advantages of wall panel
1. High aesthetics, easy to create a sense of luxury.
2. Adjust indoor air humidity, warm in winter and cool in summer.
3. Anti-ultraviolet, anti-radiation, reduce eye fatigue.
4. Wear-resistant, compressive, high hardness can protect the wall nicely.
5. Sound insulation and noise reduction can buffer the impact of heavy bass and create a quiet atmosphere.
– Disadvantages of wall panel
1. Due to the unevenness of the wall, there will be a gap between the integrated wall panel and the wall, and there will be a hollow drum sound when knocked by hand.
2. We all know that the performance of recycled material is poor, and it is very cheap. Therefore, some unscrupulous merchants use methods such as adding recycled materials or replacing bamboo and wood powder with a large amount of PVC to deceive consumers, which cannot be seen in appearance.
3. The shape that the integrated wall panel can realise is simple, and it cannot meet the too complicated arc shape. If your ceiling is made of gypsum and other materials, this requires the wall and ceiling to coordinate the process to ensure a perfect match.
Image Credit: @georgepanel_official
VI. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Art Painting?
Art painting is a new type of wall decoration material. Through multi-layer painting and professional and unique construction techniques, it can achieve variable visual effects, and can make various effects such as cement and imitation stone.
Most art prints are made of natural limestone, inorganic minerals and other high-quality environmental protection materials, coupled with modern high-tech processing technology.
The novel decorative style and unusual decorative effect of artistic lacquer have attracted the favour of many designers and home lovers.
– Advantages of art painting
1. Durable, will not fade, long service life.
2. The decoration is good, the styles are diverse, the styles are three-dimensional, and the colors are complete.
3. Dust-proof and scrub-resistant, easy to take care of, can be cleaned with a dry and wet rag.
– Disadvantages of art painting
1. Because art paint has rich decorative effects and excellent performance, the price will be higher than traditional latex paint, wallpaper wall covering and diatom mud.
2. Art paint is not as simple as wallpaper. The steps in the construction process are very complicated, and the technical content of the construction personnel is relatively high, so the technicians should be selected carefully.
VII. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Diatom Mud?
Diatom mud is a dry powder interior wall decoration coating material prepared with inorganic gelling substances as the primary binding material and diatom materials as the main functional filler, and has good adsorption performance.
– Advantages of diatom mud
1. It is composed of pure natural inorganic materials and does not contain any harmful substances and harmful additives.
2. It can be used for a long time, and the service life of diatom mud can reach more than 30 years.
3. The color is soft, the visual effect is good, and the reflected light on the wall is natural and soft, effectively protecting the eyesight of you and your family.
4. Sterilization and humidity control can kill flu and infectious bacteria in the air and keep children’s clothes free from moisture and mould on walls.
5. It does not burn in case of fire and does not produce any harmful substances, which can effectively prevent the spread of fire.
– Disadvantages of diatom mud
1. It is not resistant to dirt, scrubbing, and waterproofing, so it needs to be cleaned frequently.
2. The more precise the instrument, the more meticulous care it needs to be taken care of. There are many things to pay attention to during the construction of a material, such as diatom mud, which is known for its functionality.
3. Diatom mud itself is white, and other colors must be added to achieve other colors.
4. Diatom mud can complete personalized complex texture production, because it is “solid” and can be shaped, rather than “liquid” that cannot be fixed in shape. But from another point of view, this is a disadvantage. If the surface must be smooth and smooth like latex paint, diatom mud cannot be achieved.
IX. What Are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Terrazzo?
Terrazzo is a new type of wall material, generally divided into two types. One is pouring terrazzo, which is usually made on-site; the other is plate terrazzo, which is made into pieces like tiles, which can be laid on the ground or walls like tiles.
The terrazzo before the improvement is made of cement, glass, stone and other materials. However, there are disadvantages such as easy penetration and wear.
Later, the terrazzo was improved, and epoxy resin was used instead of cement as a binder. The color became rich and delicate, and it gradually began to be used for walls.
– Advantages of terrazzo
1. Anti-fouling, easy to clean, no pressure to clean.
2. Rich in color and pattern, it can be matched with different decoration styles.
3. Anti-slip, dust-proof, good wear resistance, can protect the wall and ground well.
4. No cracking, no shrinkage; corrosion resistance, no deformation, long service life.
– Disadvantages of terrazzo
1. Not waterproof, strong permeability.
2. The terrazzo material does not have good corrosion resistance, so it cannot be used in places with strong corrosion.
3. As a kind of concrete product, terrazzo itself is relatively heavy, so the transportation cost is relatively high and is more troublesome to carry.
The most discussed topics of wall decoration materials are latex paint, wall panel, and diatom mud. Here we recommend wall panel.
If the budget can be appropriately expanded, compared to the other two, the wall panel is more artistic, and the wall bonding materials used are also more environmentally friendly, with technological performance, environmental protection performance, and skin-friendly performance. Followed by latex paint, and finally diatom mud.
There is too much water in diatom mud, which only absorbs and does not have the performance of decomposing formaldehyde. It only adds photocatalyst material, but the degradation effect is also general, so be sure not to be pitted when purchasing.